When we started Crossroads Compassion Project we knew that getting this organization up and running would not be easy. And we were right. For many months now we have been bogged down with planning, paperwork, red tape and bureaucracy. At this point we are waiting for the IRS to make a decision about our 501(c)3 status. But when God told us (all of us) to “Care for widows and orphans” (James 1:27), He didn’t mention the IRS. He didn’t tell us to start taking care of these girls AFTER we get our tax exempt status. He just said to do it.
Today I received an email from Moldova. I have been corresponding with an orphanage director for several months now about how to help some girls that will be leaving the orphanage. Over the last several weeks, due to our limited resources, I have asked her to choose a girl that we can help when the time comes. Today I realized the time has come. Today, the director gave me the names of not 1, but 3 girls who desperately need help. In just 2 weeks these girls will have to leave the orphanage. They are 16 years old.
WHAT must be going through their minds right now? I cannot imagine the fear and anxiety that must be eating away at them. The place they have called home for years is now being taken away from them. The little bit of security and stability that they have had in their lives will soon be gone. Their lives are changing forever. They have to be wondering….Where will I go? What will I do? I don’t know how they can sleep at night.
The message from the director mentioned 3 names….Maria, Alina and Mihaela. I have known these girls for several years. I have watched them grow up in the orphanage. Then the director’s message said “Tony…you choose which one”. My heart just sank. I sat there at my desk at work today and thought “Are you kidding me? I have to choose one girl that we will help?” Or I guess you might say, I have to choose which 2 girls we CAN’T help. Then I realized how UNFAIR it was of me to put that burden on the director who has poured her life into these girls.
So I have spent the entire afternoon and evening making my decision. I CHOOSE ALL THREE! I don’t know how we will do this. The fact is….we WON’T be able to do this. GOD IS GOING TO HAVE TO DO THIS! But I cannot pillow my head tonight without knowing I have done everything possible to help these 3 girls.
I’m asking you to help us. Would you please consider partnering with us to help these girls? We have just 2 weeks to come up with a solution for them. If you can help us financially please contact us as soon as possible. If you can’t help financially, would you please pray for the girls? Please pray for the director as well. I know this is a particularly difficult time for her to have to send these girls away.